Plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills explains the benefits – and the art – of liposuction
Liposuction is a medical procedure that breaks up fat and removes it from the body. It’s also an art form. Just ask the patients of Dr. Dennis Dass.
Dr. Dass, a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon, explains that there are numerous benefits to liposuction, not the least of which are the exquisite body contours that can be achieved with the procedure. Liposuction is one of the most requested cosmetic treatments in America, with over 300,000 men and women choosing to have it done each year. There are plenty of physicians out there who are trained to perform liposuction. But it’s the surgeon’s technique that transforms results from beautiful to stunning.
Liposuction is designed to remove stubborn fat deposits that persist despite frequent trips to the gym and rigorous attention to diet. Small incisions are made in the area to be treated. An instrument call a cannula, which is a hollow tube with a blunt, open, end, is inserted through the incision(s), breaking up the fat and then suctioning it out. The fat may be broken up in several ways, including flushing it with saline solution or heating it with ultrasound or laser technology until it liquefies.
Dr. Dass approaches liposuction as sculpture, combining an artistic eye with years of medical training. Using small and even microcannulas, Dr. Dass can flatten a stomach, narrow a waist, etch definition into the six-pack region or around the pectoral muscles in the chest, slim thighs, reduce bra rolls, decrease the flap in the back of arms, and redefine a jawline. A look at the before-and-after photos on his website are a testament to his aesthetic acumen.
What liposuction is, and what it isn’t
Liposuction is not a treatment for obesity. It works well for people who are already involved in a regular diet and exercise program; who are either at their target weight or within 20-30% of it; and whose skin has sufficient elasticity to adjust to the removal of some of the fat beneath it. Liposuction can change the contours of your body, but it can’t make you skinny. Generally, surgeons aim to remove no more than 12 pounds of fat and fluid during one course of liposuction. Bear in mind that this maximum amount includes fluids besides the fat; that means the scale will not necessarily register 12 pounds lighter after the procedure.
How choosing liposuction can benefit you
- It’s a minimally invasive procedure
- The contours of your body are improved, enhancing your appearance, enabling you to increase your wardrobe options, and boosting your self-confidence
- In a few hours or less, you can lose fat that you’ve been trying to shed for months or even years
- Can be performed with local as well as general anesthesia
- Reduces the number of fat cells in the area that is treated
- Results in a quick recovery; most patients are back to their normal routine in 3-4 days
- Makes it possible to remove fat from an area where it’s not wanted and transfer it to an area where it may be needed, such as the hands or face that may be losing their youthful fullness. With a more natural-looking distribution of body fat, the patient’s overall appearance is improved.
- Reducing fat in a few troublesome spots often encourages patients to exercise more and make good food choices to maintain, or even improve, their new look.
- Results can be very long-lasting if the patient maintains his or her weight
- Can be easily combined with other cosmetic procedures like a tummy tucks and breast augmentation for more dramatic results
- While it is mainly a cosmetic procedure, liposuction can serve as treatment for certain medical conditions, including reduction of the swelling and pain that come with lymphedema; treating gynecomastia, the accumulation of fat under a man’s breasts; or removal of benign, fatty tumors call lipomas.
Dr. Dass is one of Beverly Hills’ top ten board-certified cosmetic plastic surgeons, and he specializes in liposuction. This makes him uniquely qualified to help you determine if liposuction is right for you. If you prove to be a good candidate, Dr. Dass will bring the same meticulous approach to contouring your figure as Renaissance artists brought to sculpting some of the world’s most beautiful masterpieces. Call (855) 496-4646 today to schedule a consultation.Back to Liposuction Page